Fly Fishing Lessons & Tuition
Want to start fly fishing, learn new skills and catch more fish? Professional, fly fishing lessons & courses with Federation of Fly Fishers Instructor Steve Yeomans are the answer! Fun, relaxed and informative, our tuition is designed to take your fly fishing to another level!
We have a range of options available to suit your needs and availability. Choose from: –
- 1-to-1 fly fishing lessons, designed just for you
- Share your fly fishing tuition with friends or family
- Join one of our fly fishing courses
Lessons are available 7 days per week, all year. Any equipment you require is provided at no extra charge.
All lessons take place at picturesque Midlands and Cotswold locations, easily accessed from the counties of Staffordshire, Shropshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire. The major cities of Birmingham Manchester, London, Oxford, Cheltenham and Gloucester are within one hour’s drive time.
Find out more about Midlands Fly Fishing here. Scroll this page for details of our fly fishing lessons.
Beginners Fly Fishing Course & Lessons
The aim of our beginners fly fishing course is simple, help you learn to fly fish! Join a small group of like minded people who want to learn how to go fly fishing confidently and catch trout on fly. Your itinerary includes: –
- Equipment – what you need, how to set up & what flies to use
- Core fly casting techniques
- Watercraft – where & when to fish
- Effective fishing techniques to get you started
2014 course dates:
- September 20th & 27th – BOTH FULL
- October 4th, 11th & 18th – ALL FULL
2015 course dates:
- May 9th, 10th, 16th & 17th
- June 13th & 14th
- September 19th, 20th, 26th & 27th
- October 3rd, 4th, 17th & 18th
Private tuition for individuals and groups is available daily throughout the year. See further information below for stillwater and river lessons.
Courses run 9.30am to 4.30pm at Loynton Trout Fisheries, located on the county borders of Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire. Price is £75 per person. This includes fishing fees, equipment, tuition and the opportunity to take a fish home for supper if you wish.
Awesome introduction to fly fishing & a fun day out. Thanks again, Steve.
Stillwater Fly Fishing Lessons
Personalised Fly fishing lessons at small stillwaters and larger lakes are available to suit your interests. Lessons are available all year.
For beginners, your itinerary will match that detailed in our fly fishing course information above. The key difference being you enjoy the benefit of one-to-one tuition.
For fly fishers with more experience, we can focus on specific aspects of fly fishing you want to improve. Alternatively, learn techniques new to you! Popular lesson topics with our regular clients are: –
- Review equipment & casting skills.
- Boost your catches using watercraft & improved fly fishing technique
- Learn new techniques, e.g. boat fishing, stalking, sinking lines,etc.
- Targeting species other than trout, e.g. pike fly fishing, carp on fly.
Location – Loynton Trout Fisheries, Staffordshire/Shropshire. Price – Full day £150, half day £100. Additional people £75 per person.
Location – Bushyleaze Trout Fishery, Gloucestershire. Price – Full day £200. Additional people £100 per person.
Thank you for a great day out, I learnt and caught more than I have in years!
River Fly Fishing Lessons
River fly fishing requires a different skill set to stillwaters. So it makes sense to book a fly fishing lesson whether you are fishing a river for the first time or you want to catch more fish. An example itinerary would be: –
- Fly casting skills for rivers & presentation
- Watercraft: – locating trout in a river, entomology to identify what trout are feeding on
- Latest dry/wet fly and nymph fishing techniques to help you fish better & catch more
Location – River Wye, Derbyshire Peak District. Price – Full day £200. Additional people £100 per person. Season – April 1st to October 8th.
Location – River Coln, Cotswolds, Gloucestershire. Price – Full day £250. Additional people £100 per person. Season – April 1st to September 30th.
Fly Casting Lessons
Good fly casting skills are a key aspect in presenting your fly well, helping you fish efficiently, effectively and enjoyably. Casting lessons are perfect for learning new casts or brushing up your casting skills. Tuition is available for all freshwater & saltwater fly fishing techniques including:
- Overhead fly cast
- Handling strong winds & big flies
- Single and double haul techniques
- Roll & Spey casting techniques
- Advanced presentation casts for river & lake
Price per hour £30 for 1 person, additional people charged at £10 per hour. Available locations are Loynton Trout Fisheries, located on the county borders of Staffordshire, Shropshire and Cheshire. This option is available all year!
I’m casting further, with less effort having learnt how to make the rod work for me, thanks to Steve.